Saturday, May 15, 2010

Retired and Resting



"Resting Tractor (w/ Retired Power Plant)"   SOLD
oil on panel, 2009
3.5" x 5" (8.89cm x 12.7cm)

Although this painting focuses on the tractor I wanted to post it immediately following my last post, 'Retired Power Plant', since the power plant in the background is the same one, different view.

In this case the plant was really used as a foil for the angles of the tractor and the buildings roof lines instead of as the primary subject. It's more grid-like structure from this view simplified, but still having some presence. I should point out that the yellow of the tractor is not as bright as the actual painting which has a bit more of a glow to it (yellow is a tough color to accurately photograph). As soon as I can get a better pic or make the right adjustment to it I'll change it out.

The only reason I bring this up is, in this painting I wanted to depict those overcast but bright days we have when the marine layer is thin and the sun is reflecting off the moisture in the atmosphere creating conditions similar to snow blindness. This usually makes high chroma colors like yellow glow even more. I did however 'cheat' a little by not lightening the darks as much in order to achieve a better glow from the yellow.

What drew me to this scene was the way the tractor was parked with it's scoop extended, instead of retracted, as though it's resting... similar in theme to the retired power plant.24
Click on image for larger view

1 comment:

  1. The attention to detail is amazing. I never would have thought a tractor could make such an interesting subject

    ReplyDelete