Sunday, June 20, 2010

Periscopes



"Approach to Gerald Desmond Bridge"
oil on panel, 2009
3.5" x 5" (8.89cm x 12.7cm)
private collection

A bridge in the LA Harbor. I like this view, late in the day, for it's dark blue, almost black, approach. The bridge itself has an almost jewel-like appearance with it's perforated silhouette against the golden sky.

I also choose this over a more uninterrupted but typical view because the light poles punch into the sky like periscopes from a submarine. Their different orientations giving them an anthropomorphic manner, as though they are looking around. A common sight in industrial/machinery subjects if you're paying attention.

This is what I see and what I look for when searching for image subjects. Something slightly different. Now the painting is not solely about the bridge.48
Click on image for larger view

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this bridge many times, but it never looked as beautiful as this image. A real artist can find the beauty in even the most industrial settings. I love this painting.

    ReplyDelete