Friday, September 10, 2010

Broken Glass

















top       "Broken Windows #1 (Cream)"
middle "Broken Windows #2 (Pale Blue)"
bottom "Broken Windows #3 (Avid Art)
each oil on panel, 2010
5" x 7" (12.7cm x 17.78cm)


I like the patterns of broken glass, they can take on virtually any shape and are a lot of fun to design. The jagged edges made up of straights and curves, the breaks rigid yet fluid.

These all have the same basic design, allowing me to play with the shapes of the missing glass against the reflections. I chose a flatter, more graphic approach than most of my paintings to really showcase the abstract shapes, with the surrounding steel serving much like a picture frame.

To give them an animated quality I varied the black voids enough in their size, shape, and orientation as well as using brighter complimentary colors, blue and orange, for the reflections.70,71,72
Click on images for larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment