Friday, November 4, 2011

Urban River 1












"Santa Ana River #1"
oil on cradled panel, 2011
12" x 24" (30.48cm x 60.96cm)
For Sale at Daily Paintworks, CLICK HERE


Urban nature is a sort of oxymoron. It took years to come to terms with seeing our rivers encased in concrete banks as part of the natural world. I could never quite call them rivers.

But this is how we modify nature as it passes through our cities before being returned back to nature and into the ocean. There is a push and pull of man/nature going on. Concrete and manicured rock banks, then natural silt islands and vegetation growing in the middle. Nature briefly contained and on display. Ebb and flow.

I do see the beauty in both, the smooth hard man made surfaces and the delicate organic forms of nature. They simultaneously compliment and contrast each other.140

Click on image for larger view

4 comments:

  1. Seeing the beauty and the mystery that lies all around us everyday... looks as though you see it and paint it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shirley,
    I do paint what I see, know and is part of me.
    Not everyone can see the beauty (or at least the fascination) in urban and industrial subjects. But it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. incredible painting, just stunning! and a thoughtful and lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Suzanne,

    I appreciate your response.
    As for the post I always choose subjects that provoke me in some way then strive to show that to others.

    ReplyDelete