Monday, September 10, 2012

Otherworldly Mountain

"Nocturne Sulfur Pile Detail"
oil on panel, 2012
2⅜" x 2" (6.01cm x 5.08cm)
For Sale at DAILY PAINTWORKS, CLICK HERE

Yeah, it's small but I really enjoyed painting it, It was tough to photograph it accurately so the original looks far better with a subtle depth and richness I could not get with the photo.

I have been doing a lot of experimental work along with a new body of work lately and this was one of those little excursions I decided to do on a whim. Small and quick is satisfying sometimes.

All my previous paintings of sulfur piles are generally of the whole pile, in the background as another element.
Zoomed in for a detail like this and the pile looked otherworldly, more like a mountain from another planet.188

Click on image for larger view

2 comments:

  1. David!
    Wow!
    Very dramatic! The size surprises me. It appears to be so much larger!
    Very, very exciting!
    (The other day I posted a smaller work also! I agree with you a smaller painting can be satisfying. It is very good to experiment!)
    Take care.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael,
    Who knows, I may do a larger version of this.
    Like doing thumbnails it allows us to see quickly the result.
    Keep painting...

    ReplyDelete