Saturday, April 13, 2013

Value Thumbnails 6

"Value Thumbnails-Cliffs"
pencil on paper, 2012
8.5" x 11" (21.59cm x 27.94cm)
NFS

Here's a page of value thumbnails where my focus was the distribution of lights and darks and the patterns created. It is an exploration in how different the composition looks simply by shifting the values in the back, middle and foregrounds.
I imagined a sunny windy day where clouds are streaking across the sky dragging their shadows over the landscape.

I essentially used 3 values here, the white of the paper being the lightest, but threw in a forth when it was necessary to separate elements, as in #3 where I wanted the background a light value but needed to separate sky from ocean.218

2 comments:

  1. Nice David!
    So very interesting to read about your process in these value thumbnails.
    Good for you!
    I enjoy the dark values in the back ground! Very much like a wonderful storm approaching!
    Take care Buddy!
    Michael Paul Revere's Glove Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michael,
    Like you I enjoy the dark values and stormy weather and of course so much of my work has darks.
    Keep painting Bostonian...

    ReplyDelete