Saturday, January 16, 2016

Marker Drawings 23




























Sketchbook drawings
Sharpie markers bullet and fine point, 2015
sketchbook 6" x 8" (15.24cm x 20.32cm)

If you have been following these series of marker posts you know I have been bouncing back and forth between tonal and flatter graphic approaches.
Not all are great but that is part of experimenting and direct mediums like marker force you to think ahead since changes are nearly impossible.
Even when they are abstract or ambiguous I often like the dark/light pattern as in second page down bottom image.

A tonal approach is usually best done using value markers however I also like to use markers that are near used up or dried out as I did in the bottom two pages. The advantage with doing that is the half-tone created is more textural or organic and thus more painterly. The disadvantage is they don't last very long in that state and can sometimes be unpredictable.
But used for quick sketches, thumbnails and experimental drawings I get those happy accidents.415,416,417,418


2 comments:

  1. I love seeing all your experimentation David! You've got great variety here. Love the very bottom one in particular - I like the composition and the organic tones you speak of!
    Keep sketching and painting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy, I wish they would last longer in that state because of the textural quality you can get from them. Oh well.
    The marker sketching has been fun. I am back on painting for now although I always have the sketchbook nearby.
    Keep painting on your challenge...

    ReplyDelete